Monday, November 15, 2010

Who is Aukie?

Aukie was my grandfather on my mother's side of the family.  My grandparents lived in Portland, ME.  Throughout the 1950s and early 60s, Aukie had a Kosher butcher shop named Blumenthal & sons.  He was a swell guy, and people really loved him.  His meats were the best, and his customers enjoyed going to the shop to buy Kosher from Aukie.  The shop was a few blocks up from the harbor near Exchange Street in downtown Portland, ME.

I was named after Aukie, and we have the same size hands.  When I got married, I wore his ring.  The jeweler did not even have to resize the ring to fit my ring finger.  It slipped on like Cinderella's glass slipper.  Which one of you lucky ladies will get me to wear this badge of honor again?


Aukie died prematurely of a heart attack.  I actually never got to meet him, but I know we are kindred spirits.  After he died, his cousin Moishe try to pass off non-kosher meats.  There was a scandal, and the shop went closed.  The goal of my pastrami and deli meats is to restore the love of meat to my grandfather's legacy, plus I gotta get a good sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment