Sunday, November 28, 2010

FEAR the TREE!

The tailgate for the Oregon State game went very well.  Besides Stanford winning and securing the #4 ranking in the BCS poll, Aukie's pastrami had huge interest!
The above pix is a good glimpse of the "outside kitchen with the brisket bong".  I did not need to put the tubing in water since the temperature was cool and it rained for most of the time.  I was out there for 24 hours.  I slept in the back of the minivan.
Here are the steps I took after I got the fire going, and hunkered down for a good 24 hour smoke.

I opened the cured pastrami packages and gave them one last good rub before I put them on the smoker.







Here is the brisket after the "final rub", and before i put it into the cold side of the smoker.  I did find that the best technique is give the meats a long cold smoke on the cold side (approx 100 degrees), and then a braise on the hot side (approx 220 degrees).  I am definitely getting a better understand on how to use the Brisket Bong.




Here is the turkey in the "turkey rub box" for the final rub before going on the cold smoker.  The correct amount of rub is very tricky.  The small piece can get over flavored, but all in all everyone seemed to enjoy the samples I gave away.  The dark meat turkey Pastrami was particulalry poplular.




I put the turkey in tin foil and on the top rack of the cold smoker.  I wanted to be very careful not to have the brisket drippings from the fat get on the Turkey.  I think I was successful in keeping the meats seperated so the flavors did not get mixed up.  The cold smoker side easily fit the 6 half-brisket, 3 turkeys butchered(breast, thigh and leg meat), and 4 blocks of cheese.



Here is a good shot of the cold side with the turkey in foil.  You cannot see the brisket next to it.  Also, the top grill with the cheese is not shown.






It was a great experience.  The meat came out great, and I really enjoyed hanging out with the other tailgaters.  Everyone who stopped by to ask about the smoker enjoyed the sample sandwiches I was giving out.  Everyone thought it was still for making moonshine.

2 comments:

  1. How many people were with you at this game? It looks like you cooked enough meat to feed half the crowd. Perhaps Aukie's Deli should sponsor a Pastrami eating contest in a similar manner as Nathan's does for hot dogs. Is there a current record for the most pastrami eaten in one sitting?
    - Rick, in Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my personal best is 4 Katz's pastrami sandwiches, but then I ended loosing them all along Ludlow street as stumbled around in a food coma.

    Great question! I heard that Joey Chestnut ate 17lbs of sliced pastrami in one sitting, but of course he dipped the Rye in water so he could swallow it quicker.

    ReplyDelete